Which Gas Octane should we use.

Fastlerner
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T

Re: Which Gas Octane should we use.

Post  on 5/15/2012, 3:57 pm

MX_9 wrote:I've yet to hear of someone experiencing detonation running 87 octane fuel in a stock Sonata.

You won't mainly because it's GDI and the fuel is injected at the last moment while the cylinder is already under compression. That's WHY they're able to make a turbo capable of running with 87.

MX_9 wrote:I've felt the effects or timing pulls in other vehicles and it is noticeable so if it's happening someone surely would have felt it.

Most everyone who runs 93 HAS felt it. It even shows in the numbers as +10hp and a fatter torque curve. The gas itself doesn't make any more power, the change is strictly due to the ECU lightening up on the timing restrictions imposed to run 87 safely.

MX_9 wrote:Note that I run 93 in my daily driver. It's recommended for the vehicle and I have a custom tune with it so it's warranted on both accounts.

I do as well with a stock engine. As I stated earlier, my engine just seems to run smoother all the way around.

SteveF wrote:I hope this ends this silly discussion now.

(But I won't bet on it...)

Sorry Steve, I couldn't help myself. Wink But hopefully this will end soon. This topic has been beat to death. You would think that when the Hyundai engineers stated plainly that the published power ratings are at 87, but it adapts to make more power with 93, it would have been over then.

Either is SAFE. Buy what you like. But please stop saying it can't run 93 safely or that it makes no difference if you do. It can and it does.

leesrt

Current Car: 2012 YF2.0T

Post  on 5/15/2012, 8:49 pm

Wow, and octane battle again and I wasn't part of it (jealous) Crying or Very sad

mndthegap1
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 5/15/2012, 9:05 pm

I'm using 93 octane because of the parts i have. but my wife has a 2012 2.0t and she is using 87.

n813ca
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 5/16/2012, 12:53 am

My father in law drives truck and delivers gas to all the stations.. He gets it from the refinery and flat out will tell me I am wasting my money on higher if the car only calls for 87. It all comes out of the same tank.

turbogiotto

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0t 2011

Post  on 5/16/2012, 1:24 am

Was running on 87 but when winter strikes..... car was acting weird. Switch to 91 (93 is pretty rare these days) and stayed on 91. Performance was better.

Luxon Strut Bar
    Power Stop cross drill and slotted brakes

CP-E midpipe  

still waiting for install...
    torque solution lower engine mount insert

YoshiFD3S
    Pioneer
    Pioneer

Current Car: '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 RX-7, '14 Santa Fe 2.0T

Post  on 5/16/2012, 3:23 am

leesrt wrote:Wow, and octane battle again and I wasn't part of it (jealous) Crying or Very sad

I filled in for you while you were gone.

leesrt

Post  on 5/16/2012, 6:05 am

n813ca wrote:My father in law drives truck and delivers gas to all the stations.. He gets it from the refinery and flat out will tell me I am wasting my money on higher if the car only calls for 87. It all comes out of the same tank.

Its not because 93 is better for the car, its because you get better performance.

LineArrayNut
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 sonata 2.0T SE HGM

Post  on 5/19/2012, 10:07 am

n813ca wrote:My father in law drives truck and delivers gas to all the stations.. He gets it from the refinery and flat out will tell me I am wasting my money on higher if the car only calls for 87. It all comes out of the same tank.

your FIL is wrong. the TT tank has multiple compartments. it'll run on 87 ok. it'll run better on 93. trust me. or look at a window sticker on a genesis 2.0T where they finally say that octane matters...

innerreflection
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited

Post  on 5/19/2012, 1:26 pm

its weird because ive had a few cars that use regular and after putting in a higher grade they ran like deuce.
    Isnt it almost the same if you just use a fuel injector cleaner with regular gas ?

leesrt

Post  on 5/19/2012, 1:37 pm

Every time this comes up it ends up in two directions at the same time.
    Using 93 or 87 is not about how good the gas is or how it keeps you system clean. It's about how your car performs. This car, and many others, have adaptive ecu's that perform better on premium gas. They perform as advertised on regular gas.

If you have a car that does not have an adaptive ecu it won't matter. What does matter is the quality of the gas detergents a particular company uses. Shell and Chevron rate among the best but if the didn't have those detergents their gas would be the same as the mom and pop gas station.

It never fails that somewhere in these conversations someone always knows someone who knows someone who drives a gas truck.

LineArrayNut
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 sonata 2.0T SE HGM

Post  on 5/19/2012, 4:47 pm

innerreflection wrote:its weird because ive had a few cars that use regular and after putting in a higher grade they ran like deuce.
    Isnt it almost the same if you just use a fuel injector cleaner with regular gas ?

Just to be clear Hyundai only recommends the "gas treatment" if you're not using a "top-tier" (read: name brand good detergency) gasoline. If you're OCD like me, you put a Techron in before every oil change AND use good gas... it has naught to do w/ octane.

crunchy
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

Post  on 5/19/2012, 7:43 pm

Also appears to have been beaten to death on the interwebs, however, with no definitive result - and, quoting leesrt, everybody else seems to know a mechanic of over 30 years. Smile

Octane boosters, for road trips - what's the skinny? Good or trash?

Where I'm at, there is 94 octane two blocks away (they just added it), but I can not remember the last time I've seen another gas station with 93 or higher. (the point is that I don't want to have to look while on a trip..) I recently completed a 3000 mile road trip, and was thinking all the time: "If I had the 93 tune, I'd quite possibly be screwed"

Stay away? Good idea? If so, which brands?

daniejw

Current Car: '11 Sonata 2.0T SE

Post  on 5/19/2012, 10:48 pm

Just like everyone else. I too have seen this beaten to death online.

I used Regular Gas for my first 2 tanks of gas, and the motor ran fine. Of course it did. It's designed for it. However, that 3rd tank of gas, I put in Premium (to see what the fuss was about) and the engine seemed to run smoother and have slightly better "Pep" on the highway. I haven't been back since. I run premium everyday/all day without regrets.

This is my 1st Turbo'd vehicle, and I was always told that Turbo cars run on Premium. Now hyundai says different... That's all fine and Dandy, but like everyone else. An extra $1-2 a tank for a better piece of mind is completely worth it. Smile

LED: Interior, Reverse, Lic Plate, Glove Box, Trunk
    Xenon Supply: Low - 4300k, Fog - 3000k w/ Lamin-X
    Nameless Performance:
    FSTB (Powder Coated Black)
    Short Ram Intake w/ K&N Drop-In Panel
    Charge Pipe w/ Synapse BOV
    Downpipe
    Custom Performance Engineering:
    QuickPower Pipe w/ Resonator & HFC
    Austenite Cat-Back (Version 1)
    Seoulful Racing USA:
    Custom Tune - 262whp
    NGK: 1422 Plugs
    Saikou Michi Co.: Oil Catch Can - PCV
    Stiff Ring: 14pc Chassis Set
    PowerStop : Slotted/Drilled Rotors w/ Z16 Pads
    Eibach : Pro Kit Springs

ScanGauge 2 (Boost, AFR/WB, Trans Temp, Oil Temp)

In The Works

NCST8 GUY
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 5/20/2012, 1:26 am

Higher octane is only "needed" if you are experiencing spark knock. If the ECU is adaptive, you can gain a little additional performance due to advanced timing with higher octane fuel.

In the absence of spark knock, you will do ABSOLUTELY no harm to your car with 87oct fuel.

This discussion should not be so hard to complete!

crunchy
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

Post  on 5/20/2012, 1:59 am

NCST8 GUY wrote:Higher octane is only "needed" if you are experiencing spark knock. If the ECU is adaptive, you can gain a little additional performance due to advanced timing with higher octane fuel.

In the absence of spark knock, you will do ABSOLUTELY no harm to your car with 87oct fuel.

This discussion should not be so hard to complete!

That's what I figured, however, if/with a 93 tune I don't know (I *just don't know*) if the ECU will adapt its' way back to 87.

An aside, I subjectively feel a difference between 87 and 91(+) and fill with 91. What I'm asking is if with a tune (PA), would I want (or need) to compensate additionally by the addition of an octane booster, for when I cannot find 93+?

i.e. I have no tune now, however, if I did, would I be butchering my engine by "only" filling with 91?

Current date/time is 11/1/2014, 1:01 am