Sound System Upgrade

floormatt6
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T

Sound System Upgrade

Post  on 11/13/2011, 7:11 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. About a month in with my new SE 2.0T and loving everything about it. EXCEPT the terrible sound system. I stuck with Package 1, not Nav package. I couldn't see spending 2900 when all I wanted was a better sound system. And that brings me to this post!

Has anyone upgrade the sound system? I'm looking to keep the head unit, but replace the speakers and add anything needed. Is there an amp with the stock system? Before I start peeling apart the trunk to find it (or not), I figured I'd ask here! Would swapping out the speakers alone give me more clarity? I'm not looking for anything heavy, just better quality. And I'm tired of hearing everything come from the front dash. It seems like the front and rear door speakers only add midrange. I've played around with the fade and EQ settings, but it does very little. And the volume is terrible! I'm used to playing music on 10 out of 50 on my 05 Elantra with a simple Sony head unit and pioneer speakers. Now I'm cranking the volume up to 30 out of 45 just to hear it over the city noise.

Does anybody have any recommendations? Be it speakers, amps, crossovers, subs... What have you done? Any advice would be great! I'm tired of listening to quiet muddy music!

johnnycav83
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata 2.0T 2012

Re: Sound System Upgrade

Post  on 11/18/2011, 7:00 pm

sup bro i am NJ as well just got my 2012 2.0 t in the begining of the month, i found a few upgrades for speakers that i am purchasing this week. I am going with infiniti Kappa. The best speakers and sound awesome. Once i tear down my doors and trunk i will do a diy step by step. and post it up.

floormatt6
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 11/18/2011, 9:29 pm

Are the kappas components or full range? I don't know how involved I want to get. I'm hoping a simple swap will do the trick. Maybe amp too. I'm not too familiar with this stuff so I might have to check back with you. I'm real handy but just unfamiliar with audio components. Looking forward to the pics. Thanks

cbx4evr
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Sonata Limited 2.0T, Ruby Red

Post  on 11/19/2011, 10:36 am

Anyone know the size of the stock door speakers?

Crutchfiled is showing that a 5 1/4" of a 6 1/2" will fit "with bracket".

How easy is it to get to the dash speakers??

floormatt6
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 11/19/2011, 2:34 pm

Took apart the trunk today, on the hunt for the amplifier. HMA Service shows an amp on the right side of the trunk. No such luck. It was explicit about one component existing only for the SunNav package, but it didn't say anything about the amp. I assumed it would be there but to my surprise, it was not! First off, should it be? Second, has anyone installed an amp in the sonata? Easy to get the wiring back there?

cbx4evr
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Sonata Limited 2.0T, Ruby Red

Post  on 11/19/2011, 3:26 pm

Why do we have two threads dealing with the same subject?? Let's keep it simple.

crabby patty

amp location

Post  on 12/11/2011, 8:39 am

floormatt6 wrote:Took apart the trunk today, on the hunt for the amplifier. HMA Service shows an amp on the right side of the trunk. No such luck. It was explicit about one component existing only for the SunNav package, but it didn't say anything about the amp. I assumed it would be there but to my surprise, it was not! First off, should it be? Second, has anyone installed an amp in the sonata? Easy to get the wiring back there?

hi - i'm looking to install second amp and sub. did you ever locate the stock external amp. i can't find it anywhere???

Tom's SE 2.0T
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 Sonata SE, 2.0T

Post  on 2/3/2012, 3:55 pm

I think I remember seeing that the amp is under the center console.

crabby patty

Post  on 2/11/2012, 3:39 pm

found mine in the trunk on the passenger side behind the trunk liner. small amp - loads of wires. decided not to mess with it there. tapped into speaker wires from the factory sub inputs instead.

johnnycav83
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 2/20/2012, 8:35 pm

Tax return will be here in week, all speakers and sub will be on the way. still deciding on a new headunit that will intergrate with the blutooth, and steerling wheel controls. will be adding dymatt to all doors due to the vibration and shaking with the factory speakers. debating if i should get my turbo back exhaust first or upgrade the sound?

EEGriffie

I Replaced the Speakers in Rear Doors Only! -- Awesome!

Post  on 11/7/2012, 11:10 am

I Replaced the Speakers in Rear Doors Only -- with 6 + 1/2 in. JBLs >> Awesome!
    *** JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair) $76 at Amazon.
    *** Installed by Fry's in ~1/2 hour for $40.

johnnycav83
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 11/16/2012, 11:01 am

Hey Floormatt6 where in NJ are you from? After a year of driving this car, i am at 28,610 miles and i am ready to rip the car apart and installing my stereo finally. I waited to see how bad, the stock system sounded and i got rid of the bluelink because that shit blows. Now iam debating between car kits, either metra which people talk on the internet how the kit sucks or another kit i found last night. What i am thinking about doing is buying another factory trim and making my own car kit so it looks stock. The after market kits are shitty, but than after many years on installing all my car audio gear in all my 10 cars that i had, you can't really trust someones opiinion over the internet. First step i am replacing the head unit first, most folks complained the stock factory head unit is garbage. They stated if you install a aftermarket head unit your factory speakers sound much better. We will see shortly

lsp1

Current Car: 2012 2.0 T Hyundai Sonota

Post  on 12/14/2012, 9:35 pm

Hi guys i have a 2012 limited 2.0 T,and im also disapointed with dimension audio . I like my music loud and crystal clear, Listening from the front can be challenging trying to make music sound balanced and full. Front is way out of balance with rear,and ive played with all adjustments trying to even it out with the fader.I run out of amp power trying to make it sound better ,from what you guys have been saying ,you know how i feel.EEGriffie said that by replacing rear door speakers that he's now happy with system.Is that all there is to it?Thanks guys keep up the good posting.

reus49
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2012 SE Turbo

Post  on 12/18/2012, 9:43 am

lsp1

I have the nav. system and I did change the speakers (three way) on all four doors. Did not touch the dash not the base in the back.

I believe it sounds a little better?!

lsp1

Current Car: 2012 2.0 T Hyundai Sonota

Post  on 12/18/2012, 10:15 am

Thanks guys that will be my xmas present to myself,Thanks and Merry Xmas

Current date/time is 10/1/2014, 7:13 am