• Reply to topic

Be aware!!! Turbo issue

Flash2.0turbo

Current Car: 2011 hyundai sonata turbo

Be aware!!! Turbo issue

Post  on 11/28/2010, 8:02 pm

The people that are talking about loud startup be aware. I bought my sonata turbo early november and it was loud on startup. I took it to the dealer with 356 miles on it and they said the bolts that go through the turbo were stripped out on the assembly line. Needless to say that was on the 10th of November. Today is the 28th and they don't have an answer when they will be getting the new turbo in. This has made me extremely frustrated. I love the car but am beginning to wonder if I made the right decision. They think that a rental and the new turbo makes it ok but this is very frustrating especially when u spend months waiting for that car to come out and get it and drive it 5 days and already have it in the shop.....

Tundra Dweller
Forum Member
Forum Member

Current Car: Sonata SE 2.0T

Re: Be aware!!! Turbo issue

Post  on 11/28/2010, 8:35 pm

Flash,
Is it loud only when cold or every time you start it up? It seems everyone has excessive noise at cold start up. so far.

Flash2.0turbo

Post  on 11/28/2010, 9:06 pm

Cold start up was the most noticeable. I thought there was an exhaust leak bc I have always had friends with turbo cars and let them hear it. Right away they said it didn't seem normal. I took it to the dealership and they agreed and inspected it. The bolts that go through the turbo to bolt it up were stripped causing it to not have a good seal. I noticed that at first the car wasn't getting anywhere the rated gas mileage. I am pretty irritated with the whole situation.

azguy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post  on 11/29/2010, 12:52 am

I know that all direct injection gas engines are a bit noisy due to the high pressure fuel injection. But this sounds like a possible real issue. I'd suggest that anyone who thinks that they have a problem should visit the dealership and have things checked out.

The_franchise
Forum Member
Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 Sonata 2.0t Limited

Post  on 11/29/2010, 5:43 pm

There is an advisory on this... No fix. It's not stripped bolts either, it's just the actuator rod for the wastegate rattling on a cold start. Really nothing to worry about. The rattling stops when the actuator moves the rod after it warms up for a second, if it doesn't stop u may have an issue otherwise, this is all it is.

Flash2.0turbo

Post  on 11/29/2010, 6:14 pm

My car was stripped out bolts from the assembly line

The_franchise
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post  on 11/29/2010, 6:18 pm

Ok?! U know the dealer will tell you things to make you satisfied you are getting something done.

Did the noise stop after it warmed up?

Tell them u want to see this "bolt" making noise... I just have a hard time believing it.

Just saying I don't trust 50% off what I'm told...

http://www.myhyundaiforums.com/10-EM-005.pdf

Flash2.0turbo

Post  on 12/1/2010, 10:53 am

It wouldn't be as loud but was still louder than it should of been. On cold start up it sounded like the motor was going to blow up. It was excessively loud. It sounded like a pos. I know Hyundai has great cars this is my third and the car is awesome but this is ridiculous and the dealership still doesn't know when the new turbo will be here nearly a month has passed. I told them I need to no something by the end of this week. Alabama has a lemon law!!! I am beginning to get extremely pissed off but hopefully it will all turn out good bc the 5 days I drove it I loved it.

The_franchise
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post  on 12/1/2010, 10:58 am

I'll try and video mine at cold start up, so u can see. It is loud and sounds cheap but stops. I BET they are waiting on a new turbo for nothing.

jdess

Current Car: 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T

Post  on 12/1/2010, 11:24 am

The_franchise wrote:I'll try and video mine at cold start up, so u can see. It is loud and sounds cheap but stops. I BET they are waiting on a new turbo for nothing.

+1
The first time I heard a cold startup, I thought something was wrong. But after hearing a few, they unfortunately all sound cheap and strange on cold start. I'm pretty disappointed in the sound of the motor in general. Sounds nothing like the 2.0T in my GTI. Maybe it just needs a catback Smile

YFSonata
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post  on 12/2/2010, 3:02 pm

if they didn't rev the engine up to 2000rpm for cat-warm up, it wouldn't sound like that

i would prefer start up at normal 800~1000rpm.

The_franchise
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post  on 12/2/2010, 3:56 pm

They rev it to 2000 for cat warm up because they did away withe the egr (exhaust gas recirc) system on this motor. Egr and direct injection is bad. Look at the black soot on ur exhaust pipe, that would be recirc'd into the motor with it.

Post  on 12/2/2010, 7:23 pm

Everyone just CALM DOWN....We already have explored this Issue!!!

The reason for the LOUD start up is because of the "High Pressure Pump" that is located on the valve cover.. A GDI engine is basically a diesel engine but uses gasoline and not diesel fuel.

And you know how loud a diesel engine is ..Diesel engines use 2 fuel pumps. One in the tank and one on the engine...The GDI is the same thing…

This Loud Noise issue has been a concern with all of the 2011 sonata's turbo and non-turbo...I have talked with my dealers head tech about this. I have also called Hyundai in California and there engineer explained to me the sound is normal on a GDI engine..

The other reason for the "HIGH cold start idle" is because this car has the new OBD 2 emission program in the ECU...

This Engine has an EVII rating..so it will not act like other cars on start up..

They want more oxygen going into the engine on start up, to heat up the cat faster instead of the ECU shoving a large amount of fuel into the cat to heat it up . The faster you get the cat hot the better it does emission wise. Plus it saves fuel.

By using more oxygen you create fewer emissions on start up...That’s why the idle is really high for about 30 to 60 seconds and then it goes down and gets quiter..My car does the same thing..Hyundai tried to put some sound dampening material under the engine cover to try and keep the sound down..Take your engine cover off and look under neath it.. You will see the foam insulation..

Before everyone starts saying they want to get rid of their sonatas, this is how the car is going to be...Now I am not saying there is nothing wrong with Flash2.0turbo car but, I giving you info so that we understand why and how the Theta GDI Engine works…Enjoy the car and try not to pick it apart.

Post  on 12/2/2010, 7:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxvp9F-PS34&feature=related

Hyundai's New Theta Engine with GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) Technology

The_franchise
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post  on 12/2/2010, 7:37 pm

Yes the pump is loud... But the cold start rattle is the wastegate arm.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 10/20/2014, 4:09 pm