Strong oil smell coming through vents

SweetRideMan

Current Car: 2011 SE 2.0T

Strong oil smell coming through vents

Post  on 1/27/2012, 12:27 pm

I purchased my car May 2011 and have done a few oil changes using Synthetic 5w-30. I have 10000 miles on my car now. My most recent oil change was done approx. 3000 miles ago and since that last oil change I smell a very prominent oil odor when the car has been running for a while. It is at its worst when the de-fogger is on. I took it back to the dealer a week after the oil change and they said they couldn't smell anything. I was told they thoroughly checked in and around the engine and found no leaks. So I left and started my car and was blasted in the face with the odor so I ran back in and the mechanic came back out. He did notice it but said it probably wasn't from the engine. He told me it could be "mold" growing from after it rains and that the vents were blowing in the smell. His solution was to spray fabreeze into the vents below the windshield wipers with the fan on full blast. I disagreed with what he said and he said that's what he thought it was. I was not going to spray fabreeze into it. So my question is if anybody else experienced the same issue, or if I just received bad service. I live in Central New Jersey and from talking with other Hyundai owners, the general consensus is that the Hyundai Dealers (Freehold Hyundai, Brad Benson Hyundai, and Lester Glenn Hyundai) really do not want to help in the service department or are not trained enough on the cars or just careless.

Kenster362
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Re: Strong oil smell coming through vents

Post  on 1/27/2012, 3:44 pm

I've smelled it with my 2012, more so if i've been getting on the throttle a bit. I check the oil level at every gas fillup and havent seen it drop at all so I figure its from something else.

What ive noticed is that it smells like regular oil straight out of the bottle, and not burning oil if that makes sense... no idea where it comes from though.

SweetRideMan

Post  on 1/27/2012, 3:52 pm

For me it smells like it is right out of the bottle as well. Now that you mention it, It does seem to get stronger when I accelerate. I'm going to start checking my oil more regularly now.

Could it be spilled oil under the hood?

SweetRideMan

Post  on 1/27/2012, 4:03 pm

Could it be from the oil being over filled and spilling out from under the cap? I see constant stains/wet spots around the oil cap.

Kenster362
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/27/2012, 4:05 pm

Not sure. I've look around the engine compartment a bit and couldnt see anything that resembled oil. Another place to look is the shrouding beneath engine. Oil may have spilled on that during the oil change and never got cleaned up.

Kenster362
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 1/27/2012, 4:06 pm

SweetRideMan wrote:Could it be from the oil being over filled and spilling out from under the cap? I see constant stains/wet spots around the oil cap.

If that were the case it would probably smell like burning oil.

BoosterClub
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: '12 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T - Harbor Gray Meta

Post  on 2/15/2012, 2:51 pm

On a related issue ...........

I just noticed a small strip of very flexible (e.g. NOT hard and dense) very soft foam rubber - about 6-8 inches long and maybe 1/2 inch "square" - with what appears to be / have been a strip of double-sided tape on one side - lying in my driveway the morning after returning home one evening. It's COMPLETELY engine-oil soaked and almost dripping wet!!!

This is NOT the sort of "rubber" that would be used as any sort of serious sealing "gasket" or anything directly in contact with the oiling system.

It's the sort of thing you'd associate with "weather-stripping" somewhere in the car - except it's not nearly as dense as the weather-stripping around the doors, trunk, hood, etc.

Engine oil checked almost daily ... (no kidding!) ... and it's full and stable.

The entire front section - the engine bay - has a complete plastic "tray" attached at various points - some sort of a "stream-lining" attempt, no doubt. Are there small strips of foam rubber sealing this thing for some reason?

And the car is NOT leaking any engine oil ... so ????????????

Kenster362
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 2/15/2012, 2:57 pm

Im still reasonably sure there is oil spilled on that "tray" as you call it. Heats up from the engine and the smell gets sucked into the cabin.

If the oil's ever been changed theres that possibility, especially since the oil from the filter has to drain through a relatively small hole and oil inevitably gets splashed onto the top of that tray.

If you have the inclination you should remove that tray, it looks pretty easy to take off. See if its got oil on it and clean it off. I've been too lazy, might do it next oil change.

leesrt

Current Car: 2012 YF2.0T

Post  on 2/15/2012, 3:46 pm

That piece of rubber may have been attached to the under engine pan/cover. They may have spilled oil down on the lower engine cover (which is line with a fabric material) and the oil eventually disolved the double sided tape on that rubber piece.

Get under the car and feel around on the inside of the lower engine cover. Your answer will be there.

BoosterClub
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: '12 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T - Harbor Gray Meta

Post  on 2/15/2012, 3:52 pm

leesrt wrote:That piece of rubber may have been attached to the under engine pan/cover. They may have spilled oil down on the lower engine cover (which is line with a fabric material) and the oil eventually disolved the double sided tape on that rubber piece.

Get under the car and feel around on the inside of the lower engine cover. Your answer will be there.
    I was guessing something such as that ... If nothing else, this piece of foam would appear to be something likely used to act as a "bumper" - maybe to keep a part of that big plastic tray from flapping around in the turbulence underneath the car????

Won't hurt to drive the car without it ........................ ????

ticketking
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Current Car: 2011 turbo sonata

Post  on 2/20/2012, 2:49 pm

leesrt wrote:That piece of rubber may have been attached to the under engine pan/cover. They may have spilled oil down on the lower engine cover (which is line with a fabric material) and the oil eventually disolved the double sided tape on that rubber piece.

I had that happen to me, just a peice of the strip under there nothing big.

Also, the smell, does it smell like oil or gas. I had a weird gas smell blowing in from my vents at times. There was a recall on some part for the blower or plastic piping making it stink. PVC or PCV something. They replaced it and no stink now. Might be the problem with yours too.

SweetRideMan

Post  on 2/25/2012, 11:55 am

I had my oil changed yesterday and it was an oil pan/guard on the bottom of the car near the filter. My last oil change was done by a Hyundai dealer and it was very sloppy ( the same dealer in my first post). Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury actually showed me what was causing the issue. It's only been a day but I feel the issue is resolved. Anybody in New Jersey should avoid Freehold Hyundai and definitely go to Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury, NJ. The staff there was very accommodating and courteous. Will be back again.

pharmer

Post  on 2/26/2012, 12:12 pm

We bought a turbo about three weeks ago. It has 330 miles on it right now, and yesterday my fiance mentioned there being a smell of oil or gasoline outside the car. I have a terrible sense of smell so I can't identify whether its gas or oil. I think I have noticed it occasionally. I just ignored it thinking that it's a new engine that is 'breaking in'. Now I am concluding that this is abnormal, and I should report it.

I don't know where exactly to inspect the car for leaks. I can open the hood and look around, but is there specifically something I should be looking for?

Kenster362
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Post  on 2/28/2012, 6:28 pm

SweetRideMan wrote:I had my oil changed yesterday and it was an oil pan/guard on the bottom of the car near the filter. My last oil change was done by a Hyundai dealer and it was very sloppy ( the same dealer in my first post). Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury actually showed me what was causing the issue. It's only been a day but I feel the issue is resolved. Anybody in New Jersey should avoid Freehold Hyundai and definitely go to Circle Hyundai in Shrewsbury, NJ. The staff there was very accommodating and courteous. Will be back again.

So is it as I said? Oil was spilled during an oil change? If so I need to take my shroud off and clean it off.

Current date/time is 11/1/2014, 8:54 am